Friday, February 16, 2007

Media Man

I'm not going to get wrapped up in the walking-breathing press conference that is Daisuke Matsuzaka. He's a true cult of personality, besides being a world class pitcher, and while I find that fascinating, I don't fancy myself much of a tabloid news fan. I don't generally get worked up over "boxers or briefs" to quote that famous Town Hall moment in President Clinton's first campaign circuit for the presidency.

That said, Jason Stark at ESPN.com has done a fine piece on the first major conference of Spring Training that includes a thin but accurate depiction of the frenzy that is Koshien. If all the US media treatments on Daisuke are this well written, we're in store for an interesting season. I won't hold my breath though. I'm mainly looking forward to actual Spring Training games and the first real glimpse at Matsuzaka in full "kaibutsu" mode. (That's "monster", his Japanese nickname.)

Until then, I'll drop a note or two if anything interesting happens, but I'm not all that excited about which flavor Wrigley's he chews, spearmint or juicyfruit. (It's spearmint, by the way....Just kidding.)

1 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Blogger Rob Gaudreau said...

I'm not too much of a fan of tabloid type news stuff...but having listened to some quotes from Boras it mentions that Varitek is Matsuzaka's favorite player...is that true?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home